Monday 9 June 2014

Moths and Chicks


This post does exactly what it says on the tin. Having been in Cyprus and returning to a mountain of monitoring, cliff counts and visitor work has meant that I haven't had much time for photography recently. However I have made the leap into the world of smart phones so I have been able to record some of the daily goings on around the Farnes. The weather has been pretty wonderful since my return, and this has meant plenty of opportunity for moth trapping. Using a 15W Heath Trap in possibly the best location one of these has ever been used (see photo) we have some very pretty if not particularly rare species, and below I include my three personal highlights; Angle Shades, Buff Ermine and The Spectacle moth (showing exactly where it gets its name).

Home sweet home. The mighty Brownsman Island
Angle Shades, Phlogophora meticulosa

Buff Ermine, Spilarctia luteum

The Spectacle, Abrostola tripartita 
And now for the cute part. Today saw the hatching of the first Arctic Tern chick in my monitoring patch, and I was lucky enough to catch the second hatching in action. It won't be long before these little balls of fluff are running around causing chaos for us as we leave the cottage every morning.

One down, one to go!
And last but not least, a Black Tern; a splendid adult that arrived on Brownsman for the afternoon of the 5th and posed nicely amongst the Arctics.

Very smart Black Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment